Sunday, January 02, 2011

Forgiveness

First, some insight from Tyler Perry in his movie, "Madea Goes To Jail."

“When you don’t forgive somebody, you’re giving them power over your life. They’re sleeping at night, and you’re walking around, remembering everything that they’ve done … forgiveness is not for the other person -- it’s for you. And the longer you hold on to it … the longer you hold on to the pain, and the past, and the hurt, the longer you hold yourself back from being free.” Ellen (Played by Viola Davis), “Madea Goes To Jail”

“…yes, you’re s’posed to forgive people. But this child over here [a female inmate] is talkin’ ‘bout what her dad did … honey, you’re daddy’s somewhere livin’ his life, and you(‘re) on lockdown. Honey, you’re in jail because of what you did. Learn how to take some responsibility for yourself … for your own stuff. I can’t stand for a woman to be the victim. ‘This person did this, that’s why I’m this way.’ Everybody in this place [a women’s prison][has] got a story. Your momma and your daddy done gave you life. That’s all they’re supposed to do, no matter how good, how bad the life was, it’s up to you to make something out of it. Suck it up, and shut the hell up. … everybody’s got a life, and what you do with that life is up to you. Stop being the victim.” Mable ‘Madea” Simmons (Played by Tyler Perry), “Madea Goes To Jail”

Madea Goes to Jail (2009) - Forgiveness Scene


And some insight from the Bible:

“For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.” Matthew 6:14

“Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.” Luke 6:37

Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.” Luke 7:47

Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” Luke 23:34

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John1:8-10

Hi, everybody.

I usually write my blog posts from a first-person point of view. This time, however, I’m going to do something different. I’m going to let one of my characters lead the discussion. She was once a demon named Poisonous, and through God’s grace has not only become human and regained her former angelic status, she knows a lot about forgiveness. So with further ado, I’ll hand this over to her.

Chas.

-- Chas hands the mic over to Perri --

Hi. I’m Perri Logan, and I’d like to share with you a little about forgiveness.


Now, I used to be a very dark spirited creature, with a vindictive personality. I wanted people to believe a lie. I had tentacles, not hair, with which I would fill my victims with unnatural lust and the desire to commit sexual immorality. Evil so consumed me, it reflected in my grey eyes, and grey-green skin. Even when I first became human, although I gained skin and bones, I kept my old, evil personality.


But love gave me a chance. I found out about God's forgiveness, and have changed to the person you see now. My eyes, by the way, are a bright brown, and my skin is light olive. But more than just the outside of me has changed. My heart has drastically changed. Forgiveness for me was a very radical change in perspective. Ironically, the hardest person for me to forgive has been me. I still see my old self in me from time to time, and have only begun the slow healing process of accepting myself as I now am. I have to surrender my old self, which was evil, to my new self, which is a child of God. God loves me unconditionally, but I must learn to love myself. The Lamb of God has redeemed Perri ... now I must let the Lamb redeem Poisonous -- my former self -- as well.

Would you have loved me as my old roommate Evie did: steadfastly praying for me, even while I wanted nothing to do with her, her friends, or her God? Lord I AM [God the Father] was my sworn enemy. I served [Satan,] the adversary of our souls, and served him well. If you had seen the old Perri/Poisonous, would you have seen past the exterior to the badly hurting heart that had, at a time long ago, abandoned serving the real God? I thank The Lamb that Evie hung in there for me, never abandoning the love for the person she knew I could be, given the chance (and the prayer).


Learn to forgive others. The only person unforgiveness hurts is you. It eats away at you like a cancer. The people that hurt you have long ago forgotten why, and don't even care any more. They, for better or worse, have moved on with their lives. You hold up any healing or growth as a person by not forgiving, especially yourself. Set yourself free, and let God move in your life, and change you for the better. It's very liberating when you do.

Now, don't get me wrong: forgiveness and grace don't condone being tolerant of sin. You must always deal with that. I can speak to this, because for a great part of my existence, evil was always what motivated me. But evil destroys, and I had destroyed many a man's or woman's soul. I laughed in derision when I saw them heading to Hell. But it's different when the prospect of Hell stares you right in the face. I luckily had this wake-up call. I died in a subway accident, and I lived through a very real experience in Hell for what was probably a few seconds, but might as well have been hours. But God had mercy on me, and decided I needed to remain on this earth a while longer.


Suffice it to say, you don't ever want to visit Hell. It is agony and torment ... endlessly, with no hope of escape.


But concentrate on the hope. Remember that you can do all things by Christ's love for you, which gives you strength. Also, remember that you can overcome any obstacle put in front of you, even those who would hurt or abuse you. You are more than a conqueror because of Jesus' love for you. If you have even a little faith, you can move any mountain put in your way.


So let God change your heart by renewing your mind. Train yourself to see things as God sees you: through grace. Give all your hurts and pain to Him, who is more than able to do above what our minds can comprehend, if you let His power work in you.

God’s grace to all of you!


I love you.

-- Perri gives the mic back to Chas --

Thank you very much Perri. Those were powerful words. We look forward to hearing you again.

No comments: