Sunday, April 26, 2009

The power of my Web Diva

Last night, I was working on revisions to my Manuscript, when my wife, a.k.a. (affectionately known as) "Web Diva" asked me what I was doing. I told her, “you know, trying to make my re-writes to my novel.” She asked me, “Oh, can I see it?”

I dutifully printed out the section I was working on, and cringed. She is my most faithful critic. She basically said, “You lack emotion. Your words sound detached and stoic. You need to dig deep down inside of you, and express those feelings which are buried there.”

So, after I sighed, and my ego recovered, I sat down and re-wrote that section with more drama and emotion (and a few editorial-type changes) and let her read it again.

I walked out of the room, as it was 12:45 am, and I needed to start getting ready for bed. I heard her read it aloud (which is her favorite way of proofing things), and after a while of listening to her read in the den, I heard an, “Awwww! That’s much better!”

Well, she was right. I put more drama and feeling into it and it came out much better. Well, Web Diva may not be a bona fide editor, but she knows what she likes, and she has been listening and absorbing all the Writer’s Terms I have talked with her about, like Point of View, “Show, Don’t Tell” and pacing, to name a few. I think I’ve found a good crit partner in my own spouse.
(You go, Web Diva!)

P.S. My wife is known as Web Diva because she has been creating web sites for more than 10 years, and she is the best at it (In My Humble Opinion)
See Here

No comments: