Monday, April 10, 2017

Can Angels know Salvation?



This was the hypothetical question I asked myself before I started my first book, “Evie: An Angels Redemption.” Although there is no precedent for this, I do know there are two distinct types of Angels: those that have always faithfully served God, and those who, like Lucifer, the original Light Bearer, who became self-absorbed, and was tossed out of Heaven, along with a third of the angels:

Revelation 12:4: "His tail swept down a third of the stars of heaven and cast them to the earth." This passage is often interpreted to mean Satan and a third of angels were removed from heaven to earth. 

In Isaiah 14:13-15, although the passage is primarily concerned with the King of Babylon, it allegorically refers to the fall of Lucifer.

“But you said in your heart,
‘I will ascend to heaven;
I will raise my throne above the stars of God;
I will sit on the mount of assembly
In the remote parts of the north.
 
‘I will ascend above the heights of the clouds;
I will make myself like the Most High.’
 
“But [in fact] you will be brought down to Sheol,
To the remote recesses of the pit (the region of the dead).

In Luke 10:18, Jesus tells the seventy about to be sent out,  […] I watched Satan fall from heaven like [a flash of] lightning.”

Again, in Ezekiel, 28:13-16, we are given another account of Lucifer’s fall, and the arrogance that preceded it:

You were in Eden,
    the garden of God;
every precious stone adorned you:
    carnelian, chrysolite and emerald,
    topaz, onyx and jasper,
    lapis lazuli, turquoise and beryl
Your settings and mountings were made of gold;
    on the day you were created they were prepared.
You were anointed as a guardian cherub,
    for so I ordained you.
You were on the holy mount of God;
    you walked among the fiery stones.
 You were blameless in your ways
    from the day you were created
    till wickedness was found in you.
 Through your widespread trade
    you were filled with violence,
    and you sinned.
So I drove you in disgrace from the mount of God,
    and I expelled you, guardian cherub,
    from among the fiery stones.

What is compelling about this is that Lucifer once dwelt on the Holy Mountain of God, and was “anointed as a guardian cherub.”

So, if a great and mighty angel can fall from God’s grace, are any who fell able to be redeemed? Well, the bible never makes mention of such a phenomenon. In fact, the verse I based my book, “Evie: An Angels Redemption” came from First Peter 1:10-12:

Regarding this salvation, the prophets who prophesied about the grace [of God] that was intended for you, searched carefully and inquired [about this future way of salvation], 11 seeking to find out what person or what time the Spirit of Christ within them was indicating as He foretold the sufferings of Christ and the glories [destined] to follow. 12 It was revealed to them that their services [their prophecies regarding grace] were not [meant] for themselves and their time, but for you, in these things [the death, resurrection, and glorification of Jesus Christ] which have now been told to you by those who preached the gospel to you by the [power of the] Holy Spirit [who was] sent from heaven. Into these things even the angels long to look.

So as far as I can tell, angels are very curious about the grace of God that allows those who are imperfect to be considered with sin or blemish (2 Peter 3:14), but they themselves have no need of salvation, as they are eternally in God’s presence, and live to serve us who have called upon his name.

I decided, as a story line to explore the possibility that an angel actually wanted to know salvation/redemption. She had to become human, and she had to adjust to the fact that she no longer had that direct connection to God the Father, as she had inherited sinful flesh: a self-centered will. I admit I used Literary License, and made a story that is not necessarily based upon Biblical truth, although a lot of Biblical truth is in it. I found, as I wrote it, that when an angels sees life from a human perspective, that angel’s outlook greatly changes.

Therefore, I leave it to you, the reader, to come to your own conclusions. This is a work of fiction, for the entertainment of the reader, and is not to support the idea of angelic redemption.

No comments: